Note: Instructions, including instructional videos for exactly how to post your story, will be provided well in advance of the posting date. Those details are not covered in the rules or Q&A. Please do not ask an admin questions about how to post before those instructions have been released. You’ll know the instructions are available because an announcement will be made on the site.
- The first rule is don’t be an asshole. It’s the golden rule. You don’t have to like everyone, you don’t even have to be nice, but you do have to be respectful and civil.
- Plagiarism is, of course, against the rules and will result in you being banned from the site. Probably every site any admin has access to.
- Minimum length is 50,000 words.
- If you’ve finished your story and aren’t quite at 50k, please use the contact form or communication system to contact the admins and see if your story is eligible.
- We don’t don’t want to exclude people who made a best effort but came up a few K short.
- There is no maximum length.
- The story must be complete.
- If you’re working on an epic, you might consider planning multiple stories.
- If you get two of the stories in your epic done, you can submit them both.
- Sequels/prequels or works related to another story are allowed provided they stand on their own.
- You may post the story wherever you choose after it has been posted to the Bang Archive.
- Please do not post it anywhere else prior to your posting date on the site.
- The art claim is anonymous, so please do not discuss your story publicly until after the art claim in March.
- Additional art not made by your QB artist should be hosted offsite and linked if needed for your posts.
- We won’t exclude additional art, especially chapter headers and whatnot, but the goal is to feature your Bang artist’s creation here on the site, so that’s the only art we’ll be hosting.
- Do not post any portion of your story publicly prior to the go-live date on Quantum Bang.
- There are no restrictions on genre or rating, but you must warn and rate appropriately.
- If you wish to provide your own art for your story, you still must meet the deadline dates of 5/1 for completed rough draft and 5/15 for finished art.
- Check-ins are optional, but please reach out to the community if you need help.
- The March 1st check-in is strongly encouraged because we need to know how many people will likely be submitting a rough draft.
- RPF or fandoms that focus on real people are not allowed, including: bandom, reality TV shows, or the RPF overlay of any standard fandom.
- You may use real people as minor characters in their real life role. Meaning, you can use the president, reference a known reporter, talk about getting an autograph from Michael Jordan, or be interviewed by Oprah. But none of these people can be characters in your story.
- You can participate anonymously if you wish.
- The admins/moderation team will have access to your name but you’ll be given an anonymous account name to participate through.
- You can designate that you wish to be anonymous when you signup or when you submit your rough draft.
- If it’s when you submit your rough draft, you’ll get a second account with your anon username.
- Note: we’d prefer that you tell us you want an Anon username when you signup, but it’s not mandatory.
Content Guidelines and Rules
- The theme of the Quantum Bang is Fix-it. That could be as minimal as a canon interrupt where you change an event to get the desired outcome or as major as time travel.
- If you cannot discern if your idea qualifies as fix-it, please use the contact form.
- We prefer that the story be beta read.
- If you cannot get a beta, please use spell check and a grammar checker to ensure basic quality.
- We recommend Grammarly, but Microsoft Word’s built-in grammar checker is fairly robust. Using both can’t hurt.
- Even if you have a beta, spell check and grammar check is recommended.
- You must warn for the following triggers: Rape/Non-Con/Dub-Con, Major Character Death, Incest, Cannibalism, Bestiality, Hate Crimes, Slavery, Torture, Graphic Violence, and Domestic Violence.
- Any other warnings are considerate and appreciated.
- Do not warn for slash/het/ace/any type of preference. It’s offensive to make sexual preference a warning.
- A list of reasonable warnings will be made available as we near the posting date.
- Please take giving warnings seriously. This is about warning the readers what might upset them. Gag warnings about fluff or excessive cuteness or cat videos are not acceptable. Put it in your author notes.
- While we don’t prohibit any kinks on the site, the following kinks must be disclosed in the warnings: golden showers, scat, erotic asphyxiation, daddy/mommy kinks, felching, knife play, cock/pussy torture, and any other kinks that could be considered edge play.
- A note about bestiality. Bestiality is sex with an animal, not a sapient being who happens to have fur or tentacles. Han/Chewie is not bestiality. Timmy/Lassie is. Fred Kwan banging Laliari in her natural form is not bestiality. Beauty/Beast fics are not bestiality.
- Forbidden Content
- On-screen necrophilia is not permitted, and your main characters cannot engage in this activity. But if your story is about prosecuting someone guilty of this crime, it can be mentioned, but you should warn for it. It cannot be presented as an acceptable erotic act.
- Snuff is not permitted. That means a character being killed as part of a sex act or for sexual gratification. Unless it’s not graphic and it’s being presented as a crime. If it’s being presented to titillate the reader, it’s a no-no.
- Racism, sexism, discrimination, or hate crimes cannot be presented in a positive light by the main characters. Having a villain be a racist isn’t an issue.
- Sex with characters under 16 is not permitted. Can one of your characters mention they lost their virginity at 15? Yes, but no flashbacks and no graphic description of it. If you need clarification of this policy, please use the contact form.
- Note: Most places in the world set the age of consent at 16, but that’s not all places. Generally, adulthood is considered to be between the ages of 18-21. The admin team’s preference is that 16-17 year olds be in relationships with people no more than 4-5 years their senior, but it’s not a rule. However, if you have a character who is 16 or 17 and their romantic partner is over 21, you must warn for an adult having sex with a 16-17 year old.
What to do about Problems
- Artist not replying to emails:
- If it’s been more than a week without a response, please contact the admin team via the contact form or use the communication system.
- Artist can’t read your story:
- The intention is that the artist who claims your story will read it and provide art inspired by your work. However, various things can prevent an artist from being able to read a story completely. If this should occur, you may be asked to provide a more in-depth summary of the story so they can complete the artwork. The artist may approach you directly or ask an admin for help. This not a slight. The nature of the mostly-anonymous claims makes it impossible for an artist to ensure they’ve selected a story that’s suitable for them to read. For instance, warning for miscarriage isn’t required, but it may be a trigger for an artist and they may not want to read the story as a result.
- Deleting the story:
- The site is intended to archive all the Big Bang stories together. However, if after the publication, you decide to take your work offline, contact an admin to have your story deleted.
Q: Can I write a crossover?
A: Yes, as long as the crossover fandom(s) meet the fandom criteria. You will be asked to pick a primary fandom when you submit your story. All other fandoms can be listed in your header.
Q: Can I write original fiction?
Q: Do I need to use more than one fandom?
A: No. Multi-fandom means the bang isn’t restricted to any one fandom. It doesn’t mean you need to use more than one.
Q: Can I write more than one story?
A: Yes. If you can bang out (ha!) more than one novel-length story, you may submit a second. However, at least one of the stories must be on time, meaning it was submitted in the 3/15 Rough Draft Submission. You cannot submit two in the “late submission” period.
Q: Can I submit a story I posted somewhere else?
A: No. If your story was posted on another site, it’s not eligible for the Bang.
Q: Can I submit a story I’d already started?
A: We don’t care when you started your story as long as it hasn’t been posted online already.
Q: The Bang I was participating in imploded, but my story fits this theme. Can I sign up?
A: As long as you never posted the story, we welcome you to the Quantum Bang. Sorry your other challenge didn’t work out. If you revealed details publicly about your story, please don’t advertise that you switched bangs until after the art claim.
Q: Can I submit this to another bang after the Quantum Bang?
A: We don’t care, but the other bang probably will. It’s kinda bad manners.
Q: Can this be my NaNo project?
A: Yes, as long as you aren’t posting your NaNo project online at a site such as Rough Trade.
Q: Is there a penalty for dropping out?
A: Probably not, but it depends on whether your drop out results in the wasted effort of an artist. And it may also depend on extenuating circumstances. The penalty could be being prohibited from participating the next year. Assholery could get you banned for life. So if you’re going to drop, don’t drop like an asshole.
Q: Does the story have to be completed by the rough draft due date?
A: No. You need to have completed 80% of your story by the rough draft due date. That means 80% of 50,000 words OR 80% of your projected word count, whichever is LARGER. If your story is looking like 100k, you need to submit 80k. If your story will likely be 50k, you need to submit 40k.
If you have other questions, please leave a comment below. Avoid asking detailed questions about your plot in a public comment. If you need to reveal your plot to ask the question, use the contact form.